- Kamsee (real name Kamsi Ekpenyong) is a Nigerian musician.
- He tells Nollywoodgossip: “I am twelve years old.”
- He says: “I am a JS2 student of Trinity International College.”
- He says: “I started singing at the age of five. That was when I started doing things like painting, drawing and other artistic things.”
- He says: “I started singing professionally in 2010.”
- “My Time is my first album, so to say, but I started by releasing a debut single titled Friends. That was in January 2011”
- “I get inspired by my friends, my family, particularly my parents, my environment, and most importantly, God.”
- “My parents have really given me tremendous support.”
- “When I’m in school, my academics come first. So when I’m home for holiday, that’s when my music starts. In other words I do music only when I am home.”
- “I write all my songs myself.”
- “My role model is Michael Jackson, not because of what he did and how he ended, but because of the songs he wrote and sang.”
- “I want to be a legend and the king of my brand too, as Michael was the king of pop.”
- “I like Don Moen, because he is a good Christian and he sings for and about God.”
- “I also like Justin Bieber. People say we have the same voice. Some newspapers even tagged me- Nigerian Justin Bieber.”
- “I have worked with producers like, Phat-E, Sunkky and E-kelly.”
By Aniema Akpabio (At Home With Aniema).
Please tell us briefly about yourself.
My name is Kamsi Ekpenyong but my music name is Kamsee. I am twelve years old. I am a JS2 student of Trinity International College. I really like things that are artistic.
Tell us of your journey into music.
I started singing at the age of five. That was when I started doing things like painting, drawing and other artistic things.
When did you start singing professionally?
I started singing professionally in 2010.
What are the challenges you are facing in the music industry being a young lad?
I haven’t really been having that many challenges, except in the area of having management and placements.
Is this your first album?
“My Time” is my first album so to say, but I started by releasing a debut single titled ‘Friends’. That was in January 2011.
Who or what inspires you?
I get inspired by my friends, my family, particularly my parents, my environment, and most importantly, God.
What have been your parents’ reactions to your chosen career?
My parents have really given me tremendous support. But for me, I know that every talent is given by God, and every single person has one talent or the other. And some people just find their own early. I am one of such people.
How has it been combining schooling and music at a young age?
Well, because I’m in a boarding school, when I’m in school, my academics come first. So when I’m home for holiday, that’s when my music starts. In other words I do music only when I am home.
Do you write your songs yourself or someone does that for you?
I write all my songs myself.
Who are your role models?
My role model is, Michael Jackson, not because of what he did and how he ended, but because of the songs he wrote and sang. However he was a legend. I want to be a legend and the king of my brand too, as Michael was the king of pop. I like Don Moen, because he is a good Christian and he sings for and about God. I also like Justin Bieber. People say we have the same voice. Some newspapers even tag me- Nigerian Justin Bieber.
Your happiest moment.
My happiest moment in this business, well I can’t really say. I can say that I have happiest moments, not just a happy moment. But the remarkable one was, and what you may call my happiest moments was when I performed in AY-Live, Wizkid’s Album Launch Concert, Stella Damasus’ Album launch, Tuvi James’ Album launch, 2011 Calabar Carnival, Nnena and friends Show on 27 May; Children’s day, and some other events I can’t even remember again. And I have had a lot of interviews in various media houses, both electronics and print media.
What is your favorite food?
My favourite food…well I have both foreign and local favourite foods. For foreign food, it is bread based and Nutella, while my most preferable local food anytime is Eba and Afang soup.
Who are your directors/ producers?
I have worked with producers like, Phat-E, Sunkky and E-kelly. E-kelly has also worked with some great people some years before me. Great names like, M.I, Wiz-kid. Phat-E has worked with Jodie, that sang kuchi kuchi, and the guy that sang like say man be God oh.
Are you working at any project at the moment?
My first major album was released this year. I did the video for my first Single in South Africa. So presently I am working on some other songs and preparing for some other videos.
Where do you see yourself in the next five years in the music industry?
I see myself improving the Nigerian system a lot through music. And developing the industry to the world standard, where people would be struggling to come to. And I am also planning to work with some foreign artistes.
Any advice to youngsters out there who inspire to be like you?
My advice to them is never to forget their academics, and also believe in God, and bearing in mind that God gave everyone a talent. So use your talent wisely, to the glory of God. To all the parents, please try and support your children, they need it.
Nollywoodgossip wishes you the best.
Thanks for having me.